Request & Pick Up
If you search the library catalog, and what you want isn’t available right now, you can request it. We’ll let you know when the item is ready to pick up.
At our Main Library, look for the item in our Holds Pickup Room near the Checkout desk (see right). At our Douglass Branch, ask at the desk.
Note: When you pick up an item, you must check it out using the same library card that was used to place the request.
Have you ever wished you could pick up your hold items curbside? Starting January 2, give us a call to schedule Curbside Delivery—and we’ll bring your books to you!
- To schedule Curbside Delivery, call 217/403-2000.
- Drive up to the front of the Main Library and park in Clara Lane. Call us once when you arrive.
- We’ll take care of getting your hold items, checking them out, and delivering them to you curbside.
To request something
Most items can be requested — even brand new materials that haven’t arrived at the library yet. Only rental items and reference materials can’t be requested.
If we don’t own what you want
- Request a purchase. We’d be glad to consider buying newer items. Use our Suggest a Purchase form or call 217/403-2070.
- Use our catalog to see if it’s available elsewhere. Look for the Search Other Catalogs link in our catalog, and choose Worldshare: Libraries Worldwide then click Set Databases.
Cancel a hold
Need to cancel an item that is on hold? Have your library card number handy and contact us at 217/403-2000 or email@example.com; it’s a nice courtesy for others who may be waiting.
Don’t want requested items to arrive while you’re on vacation? Or don’t want all of your requests arriving at once? “Suspend” requests to a later date.
- Log in to your library account and click Requests.
- Check the box beside each item to suspend. Click the Suspend/Reactivate Selected button.
- Enter a new activation date. You’ll be put back on the waiting list on that date. Click Submit.
- If you want to suspend all of your requests at once, click the Suspend/Reactivate All button, enter a new activation date, and click Submit.