Checkout & Automatic Renewal
How long can I keep it?
Books – 4 weeks
Books, New – 2 weeks
All Children’s Books – 4 weeks
Chromebooks – 2 weeks
Hotspots – 2 weeks
iPads – 2 weeks
Kindles – 4 weeks
Launchpads – 4 weeks
DVDs + Blu-rays – 2 weeks
Video Games – 1 week
Audiobooks & Playaways – 4 weeks
CDs – 4 weeks
Magazines – 4 weeks
Champaign Public Library items renew automatically up to 10 times. Read more »
We no longer charge overdue fines. Read more »
Where can I return items?
- We are accepting returns at both locations.
- Our Main Library has a drive-up return at the back, off Healey Street.
- The Douglass Branch has an outside book return facing Grove Street.
- You can also return items to The Urbana Free Library.
How much can I borrow?
We ask our cardholders to set their own reasonable limit, keeping in mind that these are shared resources.
Our only limits are on DVDs and Blu-rays (up to 50 checked out at one time), video games (up to 20), Wonderbooks (up to 5), and tech devices including Chromebooks, hotspots, iPads, Kindles, and Launchpads (1 at a time).
How do I know when items are due?
- Print a due date receipt at checkout or receive by email.
- Get email reminders from your library account, or from Library ELF.
- Check your account online for the most up-to-date information.
- Download our mobile app.
- Call us at 217/403-2000; have your library card number handy
How do I pay fees?
- Fees can be paid at the Checkout desk with cash, credit, or debit cards.
- Fees can be paid online. Log in to your library account and click on “Fees.” Check the box beside each fee you wish to pay then click “Pay Fees Now,” under your fee list.
Note: Minimum payment $1.