Checkout & Renew
How much can I borrow?
We ask our cardholders to set their own reasonable limit, keeping in mind that these are shared resources. Our only limits are on DVDs, Blu-rays, and video games; up to 20 checked out at one time.
Remember that you’re responsible for returning everything on time. Please take only as much as you can keep track of.
How long can I keep it?
Books – 4 weeks
Books, New – 2 weeks
Books, Rental Bestsellers – $1/week
All Children’s Books – 4 weeks
DVDs, Entertainment – 1 week
DVDs, Television & Informational – 2 weeks
DVDs & Blu-ray, Rental – $2/week
Audiobooks & Playaways – 4 weeks
Audiobooks & Playaways, New – 2 weeks
Magazines – 2 weeks
CDs – 2 weeks
Video Games – 1 week
Can I renew it?
Yes, most items are renewable. Read More »
Where can I return items?
- You can return items inside the library during open hours.
- Our Main Library has a drive-up book return at the back, off Healey Street. Open 24/7, even on holidays.
- The Douglass Branch has an outside book return facing Grove Street. Open 24/7, even on holidays.
- You can return items to The Urbana Free Library.
How do I know when items are due?
- Print a due date receipt at checkout.
- Get email reminders from your library account, or from Library ELF.
- Check your account online for the most up-to-date information.
- Download our mobile app.
- Call us at 217/403-2000; have your library card number handy.
How do I pay fees?
- Fees can be paid at the Checkout desk with cash, credit, or debit cards.
- Fees can be paid online. Log in to your library account and click on “Fees.” Check the box beside each fee you wish to pay then click “Pay Fees Now,” under your fee list.
Note: Minimum payment $1.
Questions? Ask us.