Getting Rid of Stuff - Recycling, Donating, etc.
Get it/Give it away
- The I.D.E.A. Store is a place where artists, educators, recyclers, and friends can find re-use materials for projects.
- Freecycle Champaign-Urbana
Recycling and household hazardous waste collection in CU
- Recycling, City of Champaign
- Recycling, City of Urbana, including batteries and fluorescent bulbs
- Medication disposal, IL EPA
Yard waste / Leaf collection
Appliances, clothes, furniture, motor oil, batteries, scrap metal, computers, cell phones, paint, packaging materials, building salvage, auto salvage, concrete, propane tanks, tires, smoke detectors, other household items
- City of Champaign
- City of Urbana
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Habitat for Humanity of Champaign County’s resale store, accepts appliances, building materials, and furniture. Also try: Empty Tomb, Goodwill Industries, Salt and Light and Salvation Army Thrift Store.
- PACA, Preservation and Conservation Association store accepts architectural salvage
- The I.D.E.A. Store has a long list of items the accept for donations.
- Corks, plastic bread bags, crayons? You name it, you can recycle it.
Books, videos, DVDs, sound recordings
- Friends of the Champaign Public Library
- Friends of the Urbana Free Library
- Urbana-Champaign Books to Prisoners
- Vintage Vinyl sale, Illinois Public Media
- Doctor’s offices, nursing homes, the local hospital, elementary schools, etc. may accept old magazines.
- Lions Clubs collect used glasses at several local sites
- CarTalk Vehicle Donation Program, WILL
- Donate a car, boat or RV, America’s Car Donation Charities Center