Champaign Fire Department's Prevention Division
Description: According to the City of Champaign website, the Fire Prevention Division offers many services to residents and property owners of Champaign.
- Fire and life safety inspections existing commercial properties.
- Inspections of automatic sprinkler, fire alarm and fixed protection systems.
- Employee fire safety and extinguisher training.
- Provide information on the need for key entry box installation.
- Public assembly occupancy checks.
- Consultations on safety concerns and code questions.
Fire Safety Inspectors: Fire inspectors check for hazards such as burned-out exit lights, improper storage of flammable items, blocked exits, unsecured pressurized cylinders, improper use of extension cords, missing guards on dangerous equipment, and poor housekeeping to name a few of the more common hazards.
The Deputy Fire Marshal is in charge of inspecting existing occupancies and inspects existing businesses and properties within the City of Champaign. One thousand businesses are inspected annually. For information on codes and regulations contact: email@example.com.
Life safety and fire inspections at the University of Illinois consist of Champaign and Urbana city fire inspectors inspecting state-owned buildings under coordination of the University of Illinois Division of Campus Code Compliance and Fire Safety.
City of Champaign Deputy Fire Marshal Janet Maupin enforces the 2000 edition of NFPA Life Safety Code. Ms. Maupin is a certified Fire Inspector and a Life Safety Code Specialist through the National Fire Protection Association, with over 18 years of inspection experience.
Source: City of Champaign
Date Last Revisited: 2/12/07