Wi-Fi Tips at the Champaign Public Library
Since each person’s computer is different, a problem getting connected to the Wi-Fi may require differing solutions. If you can’t get connected, try one or more of these options:
- Many laptops have buttons that enable/disable Wi-Fi. Make sure that your Wi-Fi is enabled or turned on.
- Make sure you are connected to the proper network, Champaign_Public_Library.
- Try disconnecting from the wireless network and connecting to it again.
Windows Vista users, follow these steps (see image to the right):
a. Right-click on the Network Connections icon in the System Tray.
b. If you are connected, right-click to disconnect.
c. Then right-click to re-connect to a network. Select our Wi-Fi network.
d. If this is your first time connecting to the network, a window will pop up asking if you would like to save the connection. Check the boxes and save.
e. Then, re-open a browser. This should give you our Internet Policy page. Click “Yes.”
- Once you’ve connected to the wireless network, your computer is assigned an IP number. This can take seconds or almost a minute. Try waiting for a short while before opening your browser window.
- Make sure you open a web browser and accept our Internet Policy. Don’t close the window before you accept the policy. If you do, you may have to clear the browser’s cache or re-start the computer.
- You may need to “trigger” the policy by attempting to access something like Google.
- Try clearing your browser cache.
- Try re-starting your computer.
- Make sure you have an IP number:
a. Once you’ve connected to the wireless network, your computer will be assigned an IP number. This can take seconds or almost a minute. Try waiting for a short while before opening your browser window.
b. You can determine if you have an IP number by typing the following in the Windows command prompt window: ipconfig/all (displays the full configuration information)
c. An option is to try releasing and renewing your IP address. In Windows, type the following in the command prompt window: ipconfig/release (releases the IP address; ipconfig/renew (renews the IP address)
- Try moving to another location in the library.